Monday, January 12, 2009

Trying too hard to lighten up

Several months ago, I took a writing-for-the-radio class. During one session, I practiced recording “Lighten Up Already,” an essay about how I think people should lighten up.

The recording didn’t go well. I was finding it difficult to lighten up and come across as my naturally funny self, because, the whole time I was speaking into the microphone, the instructor’s Labradoodle (a dark-haired Labrador/poodle mix) was running around the small room, chewing on a squeaky dog toy and, every so often, humping me and the other students, who included a Jewish woman who’d written a piece about what it felt like to have a Christmas tree during the holiday season and a woman who’d written about her trip to Southeast Asia.

“What’s the matter? You sound angry,” the instructor kept asking me, as I tried a second recording and then a third. “Try to come across as flabbergasted and vulnerable,” the teacher insisted, as her large, untrained mutt continued to run and hump and squeak.

1 comment:

Barbara Blossom said...

This is funny! I like it, I like it. I hate it when clients let their dogs run loose and say stuff like "he/she won't bite, really" while the damn thing is sniffing my crotch and putting muddy paws up on my pants. Now I start out by announcing "Sorry, I'm not a dog person" and make them put the beasts away. Meow!
Barbara