Monday, March 10, 2008

Counting Carbs

Writing sometimes brings unexpected dietary results. The other day I stopped by a police station to compile a report. Mara, a reporter from another newspaper, showed up to do the same thing.

While tapping away on our laptops, Mara and I got to talking about carbs. Mara is pregnant and has gestational diabetes. I’m addicted to carbs.

Mara told me she is trying to limit herself to 2-3 carb units per meal. To figure out the carbs units in packaged food, she explained to me, you take the carb number and divide it by 15. For instance, if a bagel is listed on a package as having 40 carbs, you divide that by 15 and get 2-3 units.

I kept listening, took notes, but didn’t quite understand how changing the carbs to carb units was going to help me give up doughnuts. According to Mara, you’re supposed to eat three meals and 1-2 snacks per day. Snacks can only have 1-2 units. You can subtract 5 units if the bagel is whole wheat.

No comments: